Did you know?
- Ownership of any pet remains at its peak level 63% (71.1 million households in the U.S. own at least one pet).
- Dog ownership continues to account for the largest group of pet owners at 39% (about 44.8 million households own at least 1 dog).
- The next common pet to own is a cat, noted by 34% of the population. (about 38.4 million households own at least 1 cat) (That is a lot of cat litter)
- There has been an “explosive” rise in the availability of pet accessories, which includes housing, shoes (?), clothing, pet beds, etc.
- Recently, there has been an increase in the use of homeopathic medications for pets
What does it all mean?
We pet owners have a huge opportunity and a huge responsibility (whichever way you want to look at it) to vote with our dollar. Put your money where your mouth is. We can choose to buy cat litter that is all-natural and biodegradable. We can choose to feed our pets food that is not full of chemical additives or improper nutrients. We can choose not to purchase loads of plastic toys and accessories that will end up in landfills. We can choose to responsibly clean up after our pets and use eco-friendly products to dispose of pet waste. We can choose to stop buying products (like flea and tick treatments) that contain toxic chemicals that eventually make their way into our waterways. We can be mindful of where we are purchasing our pets. We can choose not to buy from puppy mills and consider rescuing a pet from our local shelter.